Friday, May 1, 2009

A desperately needed update!!!

Ok, so things have been pretty darn hectic for the past couple of weeks, so I have not had time to slow down and update the blog! As a result of so much going on, I have a lot of content to share, so I think I'm gonna break it up into topics. Hopefully this won't consume too much of my Friday. And if it does, consider yourself really important as you read!! So the week after Easter wasn't too eventful as I can remember and as there's nothing good in my planner. And I've totally blanked on that weekend. Except I do remember cutting out material for a purse I'm making. But maybe I should just cover the highlights rather than boring you.

Then that week of the 20th... Lee was out of town working and it just so happened that mister Marty (of our friends Becky and Marty) had to go out of town also, for training I think. Pause... I'm gonna find you a picture of Becky and Marty...
Sooo, Becky (my BFF/kindred spirit/common-law sister/roommate/etc) and I took the opportunity to hang out for a few days and also keep the loneliness of missing our husbands away. They also have a dog (Mattie) so I went over to her house to stay. It was as usual great to hang out and spend some time together, and I have to say Becky does a really good job of listening to me when I way over analyze situations (I've embraced it, I just like to think of ALL sides of situations, all possible scenarios, weighing all facts/people/emotions involved, no particular crisis at the moment, it's just what I do.), and she has a gift for humoring me and giving feedback while I do this. As do my mother and my sisters, and a few others, but if I start naming people I will leave someone out. Bottom line, female relationships are certainly something to be cherished! I try to return the favor whenever I can.

I also went to an event with my friend Katherine at the Georgia Tech Alumni Association called Women on Wednesdays, which had I been keeping up better with updates I may have given its own post. But since I'm summarizing, here are the highlights. It was called "Personal Presence: The Ability to Persuade and Influence with the Use of Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication" and it was basically about the image you portray and the language you select and how this effects relationships, the workplace, getting things accomplished, etc. It was actually a preview for a longer workshop she's doing next weekend, so it was abridged content, but I loved it, mostly because the lady was really inspiring. The point of her talk was pretty much how your presence influences people to think that you really have something valuable to say and to stop and listen and consider. And the second she opened her mouth, I was fishing for my notebook thinking this is gonna be good, I have to write this down! Haha, it was funny to stop and realize that she was the perfect poster-child for what she was preaching. And I pretty much wanted to be her best friend. So it was inspiring to try to be someone who people want to listen to, especially since I will be graduating and looking for a job soon! Her name is Nadia Bilchik. She's written books and stuff too, but I don't know much about those.

I also went to the Dave Ramsey "Town Hall for Hope" event on that Thursday night, which was pretty much his state of the union address. It was somewhere in Texas I think? But they did podcasts to something like 6,000 places all over the country for people to come watch (maybe some of you went?). I went to see it at a friend of my friend Jaime's church here in Atlanta. It was really good. He pretty much said suck it up and you know "be the change you want to see in the world", but more from a hopeful perspective that we can do it and we'll be fine, we just have to be active and responsible people who are accountable for their actions. He also used the phrase "Work like it all depends on you, and pray like it all depends on God.", which I think addresses a lot of the problem, that people aren't working like it depends on them, our culture has made everything the government's problem.... blah blah blah, I'm walking the edge of controversy that I typically like to leave for the more politically bold. Bottom line, it was really good, and inspiring, and hopeful, and all the things it was intended to be.

So that was a pretty busy week, and then that weekend, on to Nashville for the half-marathon!! But that's a post within itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment